As a parent I try to enstill the best moral code of ethics I possibly can into my children...but at times, I find it hard...in the world we live in these days...to take the high road and expect my children to as well. The old addages, "cheaters never win, slow and steady wins the race, there are no small parts, only small actors, etc." doesn't seem fair nowadays...or was it ever? With so much competition among, not only young people, but adults as well...to be better than, have more than, achieve more than...it can make one feel like they've landed on the bottom rung of the food chain.
How come the aforementioned people, rule-followers, if you will, no matter how hard we try, rarely come out on top? Being one of these people all my life (subsequently being a doormat for the OTHER aforementioned people), it is so hard for me sometimes to bite my tongue on behalf of my kids when I see the same thing happening to them. As I get older, I feel my self control weakening, especially when it comes to my kids, to stand idly by and take things. I find myself wanting to rebel against the system...which is so totally not "old" me!
Is there any middle ground between doing what's right and standing up for what's righfully yours?
As a mom, I want to do right by my children, and I want my children to do what's right. But at the end of the day...what is that?
No comments:
Post a Comment