Saturday, June 21, 2008

Our Little Branson Getaway




So, we just got back from our family "vacation" to Branson, Missouri. We weren't sure if we were going to get to go because of Noah's foot. He has had quite a bad infection, but thankfully, it was healed up enough for us to go. Every day leading up to our trip, he would say, "Does it look better? Will we get to go to Branson?"


We were only gone a couple of days, but we had a great time. We stayed at the hotel with the indoor/outdoor waterpark, played putt-putt, went to the Landing, and just relaxed and enjoyed our kiddos. Eli's favorite part of the trip..."when Daddy played 'pirates' with us" (at the outdoor waterpark play area - what a good dad!). Noah's favorite part of the trip..."the waterpark and staying at the hotel." I think they probably would have been just as happy to stay in a hotel in Fort Smith and swim in the pool...but it's about the experience, right?


I am so bummed because as we headed out, I decided to take a picture of the kids in the backseat "Branson bound," and of course, what should I see on my camera...a blinking battery sign! I hate it when that happens! But I did manage to get a couple of pictures...in the car and of the kids being silly in the hotel room.


Every time we go to Branson, Rocky always reminisces about his childhood trips there and how he always wanted to stay in this one hotel that looks like a big boat. I can only imagine what our kids will remember about our family trips!


We were also talking about how our "little" trips with our families were such a big deal to us...we wondered if it was the same for our kids. Of course, back then, simple things had a lot of meaning because they didn't happen too often (boy, I'm sounding old now)!


I can only hope that my kids will find meaning in the "simple" things and times we've shared and will share with them over the years. We work so hard to instill a sense of appreciation and thankfulness in our kids who live in a world where most of their peers are given everything without much "earning" required.


Anyway...I am so glad we were able to get away for a couple of days reconnect as a family. I caught myself several times during the trip telling myself...remember this moment...


Our time together is so precious and slips away so quickly...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks like lots of fun! Glad you guys had a good time. It's nice to get away. Unfortunately, we can't afford a mini vacation. Gas is over $4/gallon here. We will probably go to the beach for a day since it's only 45 min away. Getting to live in FL is really vacation enough!