Friday, July 11, 2008

Mother Knows Best?

I was having a conversation with Rocky tonight about something I've really been struggling with lately as a parent. I'm sure many parents have had my same thoughts, worries and confusions and usually I can get my mind off such things by rationalizing them in that way. But it is something that has weighed heavily on my mind for awhile now, so I felt like I needed to bring it up with Rocky so I could if I was thinking totally crazy or if my thoughts were valid in any way. (My balancing partner...he tends to give me "balance" when I "jump off the scale!")
So when I think about what I want most for my kids' lives...I can narrow it down to a few main things...a strong, personal relationship with God, a close, unified relationship with family, and the one thing in their lives that is their passion, their niche, their one thing that they excel and are successful.
Lately I find myself getting almost anxious at times worrying about that last one. Niche-place or position that one is best fitted. Passion- compelling emotion or devotion. Put the two together and you get the ulimate...A place or position that one is best fitted that compells emotion and devotion. To find something in your life that is your exact "fit" that motivates you to persevere...it's such a rare thing for most people. And I want so much for my kids to have that in their lives. I think it is extremely important...it gives you a sense of who you are (in this life), a feeling of accomplishment.
But how, as a parent, do I guide and nurture my children in finding their passion? Rocky and I both try to be encouraging and support them in trying new things to help them find out what they like and don't like or what they might be good at. But when you look at people who really excel at something particular, how much of that is just "in" them already and how much is learned and molded, or is it a combination of the two? Or do I let them simply follow their own path and find it on their own. What is our role as parents?
I was telling Rocky how I was afraid our kids would just be"average." What if they never excel at anything? Not that I think "average" is a bad thing...I just think that with passion comes happiness and fufillment.
But what I absolutely don't want...is for my children to ever think that they will never be good enough in my eyes, that I have expectations for them and that if they don't meet those expectations that I don't love them...
I'm so glad that we have dedicated out children to God... for He is our heavenly father whom is our hope, our strength, and our faith. He will be our guide!

No comments: