Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Swimming Lessons




The boys started swim lessons this week. Noah is at Level 4...which I'm told there are six levels before Junior Life Saving. Of course, Eli is in the very beginner class, since this is his first year. They are taking from Renee Henson, who is a counselor at one of our elementary schools...she is such a great person and so awesome with the kids. Noah is looking pretty strong, he always seems to catch on rather quickly (considering we he doesn't get to swim often). They've been working on several different kinds of strokes and kicks...the American Crawl, Dolphin, etc. and diving. Last year, Noah got really discouraged because he just couldn't get the hang of diving and several of the other kids were really mastering it (I think they all had pools)...but I just reassured him that it's a difficult thing to do and it's hard to learn how to do it in just 3o minutes a day for a couple of weeks! This year, he seems determined to do it...just today he started hitting the water head first instead of "belly-flopping!" I think he's on his way, we'll see!
I think Eli is probably one of the youngest kids in his class and definitely on the low end of experience level. But, he's been brave...he hasn't been scared and he's followed directions pretty well (that is, when he's not off in his own little world :) They've been working on blowing bubbles, holding their breath, kicking under water and floating (with assistance).
They're both doing great...I'm proud of them! They are, afterall, my underwater babies! ;)

No comments: